In order to gain maximum benefit from your massage treatment, it is advisable as part of your aftercare routine, you follow the steps over the next 24 hours:
- Drink plenty of water to help flush out toxins. Aim to drink two glasses of water after each drink of tea or coffee.
- Don’t drink alcohol or smoke for the next 24 hours; massage aims to detoxify the body thus alcohol and smoking are counter-productive as they increase the levels of toxins in the body.
- Avoid heavy meals, instead eat something light and healthy.
- Do not shower or bathe directly after a treatment for at least 6 – 8 hours. The essential oils used, need to penetrate the skin in order to be absorbed into the system to achieve optimum results. Also, avoid the sauna & steam rooms.
- Avoid direct exposure to strong sunlight, and do not use sunbeds following the use of any oils.
- Be aware of your posture.
- If you are having post-injury treatments keep moving (slowly) and rest when needed in order to assist the healing process.
- You may experience a feeling of tiredness or fatigue following a massage. In some cases, muscle ache (the same as you may feel after a workout) may follow.
- You may feel emotional. It’s quite natural to feel tearful.
- Increased urination or flu-like symptoms (a runny nose, coughing) may be experienced, but these will be temporary as the body re-balances itself.
If you would like to increase your wellbeing make sure you follow these 3 steps:
- Hydration – Make sure you drink 1.5 – 2 litres of water every day!
- Stretching – I highly recommend that you visit this channel on YouTube for some simple examples of how to stretch.
- Exercise – learn more about the ways we can support you in your fitness journey.
Useful tools that can help you feel better: